The Test Analyst will take responsibility for the testing of new and changed IT systems before their promotion to the production environment, ensuring they are of high quality, effective and approved in line with the service level agreements.
The Test Analyst will take responsibility for testing changes to the current systems and for checking new systems to ensure they are working as expected. Completing work to a high standard is a must and the successful candidate will be targeted on several areas such as completion time, reports and quality. On some projects, the Test Analyst will be required to focus on the work management of business users (UAT).
- Test Planning
- Understand the context of a User Story amongst existing Admiral system functionality.
- Author test cases using the descriptions of expected functionality on the User Story Cards or requirements as the test basis, in collaboration with the BA and Developer.
- Utilise various standard test techniques, to provide the test coverage required to test the feature / function such as boundary value analysis, state tables etc.
- Ensure that complex areas of functionality / code are understood and consider increased coverage where appropriate.
- Test Estimation
- Provide realistic, rational estimates for the test tasks discussed within sprint planning.
- Large user stories should be estimated in a group to ensure wider opinions are considered.
- Test Scheduling
- Schedule test activity efficiently and effectively. Adjust the order in which tests are executed to make the most efficient use of shared environments.
- Assist Juniors with scheduling of tasks and advise improvements that could be made.
- Test Execution
- Execute test scenarios in the plan, following the descriptions within test steps and raising issues/bugs where behaviour deviates from what is expected. Ensure that the user stories and requirement information is referenced. Where information is lacking or queries arise, consult with SME groups.
- Execute regression and exploratory testing as necessary efficiently and effectively.
- Testing Methods
- Test Analysts are expected to be aware of the library of automated tests available, and have skills in adding to the scripts where necessary.
- Wherever possible, automation test scripts should be used as the first choice for test execution. If scripts do not exist, the tester should explore creating scripts to cover the scenarios in scope (only if the test automation methods do not allow the scenario to be created).
- Defects should be reported according to the guidelines in the defect management approach. Test Analysts have a responsibility to record as much information as possible, describing the issue and how to recreate it, to facilitate debug and fix process.
- Retest defects as fixes are provided.
- Ensure that the current state of the defect is kept up to date in Jira.
- Assist Juniors in recreation and reporting of defects.
- Raise the profile of serious defects directly.
- Raise awareness of defect clusters to inform potential adjustments to the test approach.
- Ensure that the defects found are used as knowledge to inform future test coverage decisions concerning system complexity.
- Task Management
- Take ownership of allocated tasks, and explore all opportunities to circumnavigate issues and blockers faced, when trying to complete them.
- Prioritise tasks in order to work efficiently.
- Status Updates and Reporting of Blockers
- Provide an accurate update of progress against assigned tasks at the daily scrum. Raise blockers to progress as necessary, including any possible solution ideas.
- Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Escalate problems in quality to TM / Ops.
- Provide feedback to lessons learned / retrospective activity for continuous improvement of test approaches and strategy. Remain focused upon the end user and the customers of the IT delivery team.
- Focus on Admiral’s risk-based approach to quality and understand what is required for our business.
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Proven experience/exposure of the development lifecycle.
- ISTQB foundation level or above.
- Experience of automation test tools such as Selenium & Jmeter, at both an execution and scripting skill level.
- Proven experience of effective testing.
- In-depth knowledge of relevant technologies, including test methodology.
- The ability to show attention to detail in a technical setting.
- Extensive fault finding skills, using a range of technical skills and knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate in meetings, and to communicate complex technical issues using simple and clear language to staff of all levels.
- IT/Quality related degree or proven academic ability through experience.
- Demonstrable testing experience.
- Previous experience working within the insurance industry, specifically the motor or household products.
- Experience of working in an agile scrum team.
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please click “apply now” to complete an online application form.
The Recruitment Officer looking after this role is Allison Martin. If you have any queries about this position, please feel free to drop her an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or give her a call on the recruitment line – 0800 118 1619.
Please note, we are unable to accept CVs via email.
Our success goes hand-in-hand with having a strong culture where we put our people and
customers first. Our philosophy is simple yet effective: people who like what they do, do it better, and this in turn, means that our customers receive the level of service and products that they deserve. Our culture is honest, open and wholeheartedly focused on four key areas: Communication, Equality, Reward & Recognition, and Fun.
At Admiral, we are proud to be a diverse business where we put our people and customers first. We understand that a good work-life balance is important, and we want you to have an element of freedom to define a working lifestyle that supports this. We are happy to talk about flexible working.
Please ask your Recruitment Officer, Allison Martin, for more information.