This is a unique opportunity to join the management team of Veygo, a new and ambitious InsureTech venture backed by the Admiral Group (UK no.1 car insurance company).
Veygo has been created in order to provide great insurance and mobility products in a world where people don’t own cars anymore. Our first 2 products - Car Sharing Insurance and Learner Driver Insurance - allow drivers who don’t own a car to be insured whilst they borrow someone else’s car for any duration between 1h and 30 days. We are actively working to release new products in 2018, and beyond.
As a startup owned by a FTSE 100 Company, our goal is to get the best of both worlds:
- We are setup as a separate business with our own P&L, independent IT systems built and owned by Veygo and teams that are able to cover all key missions (marketing, IT development, customer service, claims handling).
- We have all the financial backing of Admiral and access to all their great pricing, claims and data experience.
A key part of our team is our Lean culture: it frames how we approach technology and product development (weekly sprints, small scrum teams, and continuous deployment); it helps us keep our customers at the heart of what we do; it gives everyone confidence that they can make a difference, and help us get a bit better every day.
Veygo is growing fast and we are looking for highly talented individuals to reinforce our management team, reporting directly to the Head of Veygo. We are based in Cardiff, Wales.
- Backend: Python/Django for the different services (pricing, risk, etc.) exposing REST APIs
- Frontend: React Redux
- Mobile: React-Native
- Infrastructure: AWS Elasticbeans, PostgreSQL, some Lambdas, Github, Circle-CI.
- Methodology: Lean/Scrum with 1-week sprints and daily inspection of the burndown chart. Lean red bucket analysis as part of our different kaizens. One of them helped us reach continuous deployment recently
- Team: 12 devs
The CTO at Veygo will be responsible for leading our development efforts and steering our technology choices so that we can bring the best products to our customers. This brand-new role is perfect for a technical lead or software architect who wants to take their career to the next level and the successful candidate will be able to shape and define their vision for the role.
- Build and implement a vision for Veygo’s software architecture and system infrastructure that supports our products and brings great value to customers.
- Recruit, manage, and grow our engineering team (developers, automated testers, architects, data warehouse managers and DevOps) teams
- Strive to create an open and welcoming engineering team that can be easily engaged with by the rest of Veygo
- Embrace our Lean mindset notably in our development workflow and be a leader in our Kaizen practices
- Evaluate, test, and implement new technology choices
- Engage with external companies and partners to maintain best practice and market awareness
- Maintain the highest level of technical efficiency, sustainability and security in all our products
- Oversee and manage your dedicated budget
This is not a full definition of the role but covers the main aspects and drivers for success.
Experience and Qualifications Required
- Extensive experience of our full stack: Python (Django framework), React, React-Native
- Experience as a software architect or technical lead
- Experience in cloud-based system infrastructure (AWS)
- Experience, or at least familiarity, with automated testing, DevOps and data warehouse management to support and challenge experts in your team
- Proven ability to interact efficiently with other teams
- MBA, Masters level degree, or equivalent
- Proven ability to run an engineering team and a desire to build and grow the people in your team to create a cutting-edge Engineering function